Postcode: 4121 | Distance to CBD: 6 km
Welcome to Holland Park
Named after Julius Holland, an early English settler in the area, the suburb of Holland Park is ideally situated close to public transport and the Southeast Freeway. There are many nearby shopping centres and schools to choose from and it is a popular suburb for students due to its close proximity to Griffith University. Residents have their own local library and Glindemann Park named after early German settlers is a popular recreational area. The suburb is also home to the oldest mosque in Queensland and in August 2008 the Holland Park Mosque celebrated its 100th anniversary.
Holland Park is about 6km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 40% of households in this area are comprised of couples with children and a further 20% are single parent families. Stand alone houses account for over 89% of all dwellings, with units accounting for a further 8%. You’ll find workers cottages through to more modern brick and tile homes in this area as well as plenty of generous-sized back yards.
Holland Park shopping precinct on Seville Road is the perfect place to pick up the essentials. If you’re after the variety a large mall offers, head over to Garden City at Upper Mount Gravatt or give Greenslopes Shopping Centre on Logan Road a go.
Gary says: Holland Park is great because of its easy access to the city and surrounding cafes and dining out places. Its high elevation ensures there is always a cool breeze and wide ranging views.
8.5km south of Brisbane CBD.
Close to Westfields Garden City and Carindale.
Holland Park is located approximately eight kilometres from the Brisbane CBD, and is neighboured by Holland Park West, Mount Gravatt, Mount Gravatt East and Camp Hill. A popular family area, Holland Park's many local facilities and easy access to the City and surrounding areas has ensured demand remains strong. Residents are serviced by a variety of services in Holland Park and in surrounding suburbs. Griffith University, shopping centres, schools and the Southeast Busway along the Southeast Freeway have helped to add value to the area in recent years. Although Holland Park is not on the rail line, regular bus services are available. Major supermarkets and retailers are located at Westfield Garden City, Westfield Carindale and along Old Cleveland Road in Coorparoo, as well as in local shopping centres in the suburb. The Stones Corner precinct is also nearby for bargain hunters living in the area.
Public and private schools in neighbouring suburbs complement Holland Park State School, Seville Road State School and Cavendish Road State High School. C.B. Mott Park, W.J. Scott Park and Seville Park provide the majority of parkland recreation in Holland Park. Locals have access to a variety of barbeque and picnic spots and a number of walk and bikeways. Like its neighbouring suburbs, Holland Park's central southern location will continue to drive its popularity into the future and ensure the steady growth of median house prices in the area.
Logan Road was probably built along an Aboriginal track from the Logan to the Brisbane River. Aborigines inhabited the area around Holland Park and often held corroborees there. After, white settlement members of other tribes also moved into the area. In the early 1880s a group of Aborigines, with 'King Jacky', 'Queen Mary', and 'Lumpy Billy' as their leaders, lived along the creek near the Holland Reserve, now Mott Park. In the 1890s corroborees were still held at the junction of Raff and Logan roads, although they had become commercial and white people paid to come and watch. In the 1890s there was a large corroboree which lasted a fortnight and attracted 200 to 300 people, probably mostly from distant tribes. This may have been the last appearance of Aborigines in the area, but Glindemann family records state that Aborigines still lived in the Nursery Road area.
The name Holland Park comes from Julius Holland, who held 150 acres (60.8 hectares) between Abbotsleigh Road, Logan Road, and Arnold Street. In 1967, Holland Park and Holland Park West were separated. Originally, they were to be divided into Holland Park East and Holland Park. However, residents and members of the Holland Park Progress Association pointed out that the area east of Logan Road had been settled first.
Holland Park straddles Logan Road and this spurred its development. The Tramway Company took over the Mount Pleasant (Logan Road) horse-drawn tram in 1885 and electrified it in 1897. Trams came to Coorparoo in 1915 and the service was extended to Holland Park in 1927.
Many of the initial settlers were German immigrants who were attracted to Queensland and were assigned free land or bought it for two shillings and sixpence per acre (0.4 hectares). German Bridge was a locality between Marshall and Nursery roads named after a bridge there. Farmers there had dairy, small goods, and poultry farms. The German Bridge Hotel, established by Andreas Glindemann, was very popular. This may have been Germantown, which Balliere's Gazetteer of 1876 refers to as 'a small village suburban to Brisbane with which place there is communication by coach twice daily'.
Holland Park proper was named for Julius Holland who, in 1865, purchased a large area of this scrub, from Abbotsleigh Road to Arnold Street and from Logan Road to Cavendish Road. The Holland Estate was sold in large blocks in 1882, but most of the land north of Logan Road remained as bush until the 1920s. Mr Lucas tried to subdivide twenty-four acres (9.7 hectares) of this land in the 1880s, but this was not successful. The city side of Burlington Street was part of the Glenlithgoe Estate and the other side was the Temperence Estate. The remainder of the Holland Estate was sold to various owners and to Coorparoo Shire as a reserve. In 1886 land along Seville Road was sold as Seville Estate and many of the one-acre (0.4-hectare) blocks were sold. In 1911 the Oates Estate was opened near Nursery Road. Tarana Estate, which adjoined the Holland Estate, was not subdivided until 1927 when the tram had arrived at the edge of the land.
The area to the south of Logan Road (Holland Park West) was developed as farmland much earlier. The Crump land, bounded by Logan, Birdwood, and Marshall roads in Holland Park West was the only area to be under the plough. When Stones Corner was being reclaimed from a swamp surrounded by vineyards, Mr Crump built a slaughter yard, 'Pastrels Paddock', at the back of his estate and provided meat through his shop in Woolloongabba. In the mid 1920s the slaughter yards were closed and the buildings sold.
Most of the development took place after the First World War and between the wars there was steady growth. In the 1920s an area of 548 acres(221.9 hectares) in Holland Park West was divided into eight to thirteen-acre (3.2 to 5.3-hectare) blocks for soldier-settler farms and the Yuletide Estate, where G. L. Uhl had bought some of the Crump land, was broken up and rapidly settled.
During the Second World War, the United States Army had a large hospital on the old Glindemann farm near Nursery Road, which was later converted to a housing compound to help with the post-war housing shortage. War Services Commission houses were built in adjoining Tarana Estate. After World War II, Holland Park grew rapidly. In 1947 5,858 people lived there and over the next seven years this number almost doubled.
Julius Holland was born in England in 1844 and came to Australia when he was eighteen years old. He moved to Brisbane and started a stock and station agency and wine and spirit business. An astute businessman and speculator, Holland began to accrue a fortune during the sugar boom of the 1870s, when, with four others, he owned a sugar plantation and mill in the Albert region at Bundall. In 1865 Julius, with his brothers Alfred and David, purchased a large area of Holland Park scrub, from Abbotsleigh Road to Arnold Street and from Logan Road to Cavendish Road. This was subdivided in 1882.
Julius Holland fell ill while living with his wife at Springvale in Stones Corner. After going to England in search of a cure he returned to die in Brisbane in 1884 at the age of only thirty-nine. Holland's letters were published as 'Letters to Bundall 1872-1879'.
Jack Batchen was born in Sydney in 1888. In World War I he was appointed inspector of wool scours under the federal government's wool purchase scheme. He also operated the 'Spring Valley' wool scour at Belmont, until he went into partnership with David Knox in 1925 in the Knox and Batchen scour in Mansfield. Batchen gave the land for the scour, on Bulimba Creek, just south of Cribb Road and Knox provided the capital for the machinery. In 1928, the partnership was dissolved. In the 1930s, Batchen established Bakers scour on Wecker Road, and during the Second World War he supervised scours for the State Wool Company. After the war he managed Gibson's wool scour at Stafford. A resident of Holland Park, Jack Batchen died in 1955.
Johann Heinrich Conrad Glindemann, his sister, Katherine, and brother, Andreas, left Hamburg for Brisbane on the Cesar Goddefroy in 1863. In 1864 Conrad married Magdalena Kuder. They bought twenty-six acres of land in the Holland Park area and began to clear it with the help of Henry Klumpp. Conrad built a slab hut and bought two cows from Frederick Wecker. In 1865 Glindemann's Heighfield Dairy began. Conrad would milk the cows every morning and then carry the milk in buckets on a yoke on his neck to his nearby customers. He would then walk to South Brisbane and work all day on the wharves, and walk home again at night in time to milk again, collecting his empty buckets on the way. Later he extended his property to 100 acres and it became the largest dairy farm in Brisbane.
His brother Andreas established the German Bridge Hotel on Logan Road near Marshall Road in 1880. This grew into the locality of German Bridge. The Glindemann family home was located on the site of the Cavendish Road High School. In 1912 Conrad died and when his wife died in 1940, she had lived on the family dairy for seventy-five years.
Major J. R. Sankey was a partner in Flavell, Roberts, and Sankey, who owned a jewellery store in Brisbane. In 1868 the first gold, which started the Gympie gold rush, was weighed in their shop and in 1872 they displayed the first three ingots of tin smelted in Queensland. Major Sankey owned 395 acres [160 hectares] of land to the south-east of Whites Hill and also near Pine Mountain. He was also active in the volunteer army. Sankey Street, Sankey Road, and Sankeys Mountain were all named after him.
Mott Park was a ceremonial spot for the Aborigines who travelled between Slacks Creek and Holland Park. It was part of the original estate of Julius Holland and was gazetted as a water reserve in 1887. By 1905, it was known as Holland Reserve and complaints about the condition of the park were common. It was given in trust as a recreation reserve to the Coorparoo Shire Council in 1909. Mott Park is 5.7 hectares and was named in 1962 for former City Council Chief Engineer, Charles Banks Mott.
The track that developed between Brisbane and the German settlement, on the banks of the Logan River, wound along the flatter ground between Mount Gravatt, Pine Mountain, and Whites Hill. It may have been following the path that Aborigines had made over thousands of years. A few graziers ran sheep through the area, and William Slack used the road then known as Slacks Track to move cattle to market. As more people settled in the area the bush track became better used and bullock and horse teams drove along it. After being surveyed in 1864 the track was renamed Logan Road. Cobb and Co provided a weekly coach to Loganholme until 1885 when the rail line to Beenleigh was opened. Hans Von Lippa walked out along the road in 1889 and said that 'the way was lovely but very lonely – I rarely encountered anyone'. Finally Logan Road was fully bituminised in 1931, prompting the raising of the speed limit from a sedate fifteen miles (24.2 kilometres) an hour.
In 1926 residents began agitating for a school at Holland Park to serve the developing suburb and a building committee was formed. Holland Park State School was first opened in 1929 with 118 pupils. Within a few months the headmaster had applied for extra accommodation to deal with the growing numbers of students. By 1930 the enrolment was 205 and during the 1930s children had to be taught on the verandahs at times when the growth in school numbers outstripped the building of new classrooms. By 1940, 390 children were enrolled, in 1950 it was 801 and by 1958, with the great increase in settlement in the area and the housing commission estates, it was 1,038. However, numbers began to decline after that as new schools were built in the area.
The Seville Road State School began in 1951 in what had been part of the United States Army hospital during World War II. In 1956 new buildings were opened.