Postcode: 4102 | Distance to CBD: 1 km
Welcome to Woolloongabba
Woolloongabba is best known for its famous sports ground “The Gabba” which has been the venue for cricket matches since 1896. From 1993 "The Gabba" has also been home to Brisbane’s AFL team the Brisbane Lions (formerly the Brisbane Bears). An inner city suburb, Woolloongabba is well served by transport with both the south east busway and south east freeway. It is also very close to two of Brisbane's major hospitals, the Princess Alexandra and Mater. There are a number of shopping centres nearby and some interesting antique and furniture stores in Logan Road.
Woolloongabba is roughly 1km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 38% of households in this area are comprised of couples without children, and a further 32% are couples with children. Stand alone houses account for 63% of the dwellings in this area, and units account for a further 31%. There’s a high level of commercial and retail development in the area but there are also some prime residential areas in Woolloongabba.
Stanley Street is the home of Woolloongabba shopping and you’re surrounded by suburbs that offer further options. Head to Fairfield Gardens or Greenslopes Shopping Centre – they’ll have everything you need.
4km south of Brisbane CBD.
Proximity to city, the Brisbane Cricket Ground (The Gabba), good public transport, affordable older-style homes and some new developments.
Woolloongabba is a thriving inner city suburb about four kilometres drive from Brisbane's CBD. The suburb mainly consists of commercial, retail and restaurants, but is best known as being the home of the Gabba, or Brisbane Cricket Ground, which hosts national and international cricket matches and AFL games.Despite the high level of commercial and retail development in the suburb, there are pockets of prime residential areas. These consist of some heritage protected early period housing such as Queenslanders, and post-war workers' cottages made from weatherboard. The median house price belies the potential growth of the area, especially given its proximity to the city, Southbank and other inner-city attractions. The suburb is also very close to one of Brisbane's major hospitals, the Princess Alexandra, and is provided easy access north and south along the Southeast Freeway. It has a dedicated stop on the South East Busway, which gives residents easy access to the City and other suburbs. The closest train stations are at Dutton Park, Buranda and South Brisbane.
Two groups, the Jagera and the Turrbal, inhabited the Brisbane area. The main Aboriginal camp in the area was at Woolloongabba. During certain seasons and for some ceremonies, the area could become the gathering place for hundreds of people. Opinions vary as to the Aboriginal meaning of the place. It was either 'whirling waters', a combination of the words ' woolloon' and 'capemm', or 'woolloon', meaning fight talk and 'gabba', a place. It is now known as Woolloongabba or simply The Gabba.
The first settler was Charles Eastwood. He built a cottage in 1855/56 at One Mile Swamp, later known as Woolloongabba. The sale of 32 perch blocks followed in 1864. Woolloongabba became important as a transport corridor because of its road, rail and tram links. The Woolloongabba Railway Depot was constructed in 1884 on the corner of Mains Road and Stanley Street. Public services were provided with the amalgamation of South Brisbane and Woolloongabba to form the first City of South Brisbane Council in 1888. The first post office opened in the Gabba in 1889. In 1967 the railway depot at Woolloongabba closed and the following year resumptions proceeded to make way for the construction of the South East Freeway through Woolloongabba.
Sister Mary McKillop arrived in Brisbane in 1869 with four other Sisters of Saint Joseph. They initially stayed at All Hallows and then rented a house in Tribune Street, Woolloongabba. The Sisters worked in the first St Joseph's school at One Mile Swamp (Woolloongabba) until it was moved further up the hill to Kangaroo Point. After some months, the house in Tribune Street proved too small for their community and they moved to Montague Street, Gibbon Street, Woolloongabba and then to River Terrace in Kangaroo Point. The names of many early settlers are represented by street names. J. Reid and J. Gibbon purchased land running off Stanley Street in 1861 and their names have been given to streets in the vicinity.
There are many landmarks in Woolloongabba. The most famous is the cricket ground. The first cricket game was played at the Gabba in 1897 when a combined New South Wales and Queensland team played A. E. Stoddart's Eleven from England. The cricket ground was also a venue for cycling and later greyhound racing and trotting. The heritage-listed Princess Theatre in Annerley Road was built in 1888. Over the years it has screened silent movies, hosted live entertainment, and been used as a factory. Today it remains a home of live theatre.
Reference: BRISbites, 2000